Saturday, August 24, 2013

Feeling my Equal Rights for All Oats This Weekend

If I saw  COLOR  before I saw the person and decided they were not for me....

I would never have gotten to go to Stonewall Inn and  Maries’s Crises all  in one night.
 I would never have front row seats at shows, after fabulous dinners  
I would never have been  a Lady of Honor in a  wedding at the Waldorf.
I would be missing out on  friends who always know when to comment on how the color of my eyes match the color of my outfit.

I would   never learn  that a true friend is one who crosses  town in a blizzard because making it to a favorite aunts wake is really important.

I would never know the  person who took better care of my parents than I did, and who will always be  a sister to me.

I would have had to go the  hospital alone  the day my mother died if a  dear friend with an African name  hadn’t insisted on driving me, and when the doctor asked if she was family she said YES and that was that.

I would have been alone at the hospital the day  my father was dying if his first client hadn’t come to sit with me, because “Mr Reardon always took care of me and I’m gonna take care of you”.

I would still  be stranded downtown after the Megabus got in from Chicago at 1:00  am because no one was willing to come pick me up at that hour.

I would always be worried about my cat when I go out of town. Instead, I worry that he will get so much love he will be sorry I am back.

I would have been wandering the Cape for hours by myself in search of a yarn store.

Who would I discuss   The Golden Girls and Will and Grace with?

You  realize  I am using  the word “color” to mean the literal  color of a person’s skin as well as the figurative  color of the flag that represents them, right? If iit's a clunky analogy it is because its so obvious  in my head I may not be putting it into words well.

If I saw COLOR  before I saw  people I would be missing  out on a bunch of them..wonderful people who I would be lost without. People I have joyful times with, and people  who haven’t  been too tired, too busy,  too whatever.. .when I have needed them  most.

So when it comes  to equal rights for all   this straight white girl does have a horse in the  race because if it effects people I cherish it effects  me.  

You don’t want to mess with me when I have a cause.


No comments:

Post a Comment